Blueberry Keeping WorkshopSunday September 9, 130 to 4 pm
Green shoots are pushing up and out of our blueberry bushes for next year’s fruit. This is the perfect
time to learn how to grow your own sweet blueberries and keep them healthy.
Start with the basics of blueberry keeping, from planting and fertilizing new and mature plants to increasing the number and size of berries on your own bushes. Then, move straight to the patches to see how to propagate new bushes, maintain their health, shape and prune them for your needs and space, and choose the right plants for your landscape.
If you have blueberry shrubs already, but they aren't producing enough fruit or growing taller and fuller, bring your questions and some pictures and we'll give you personalized recommendations and hands on experience with a range of conditions. You can also bring a soil sample for an informal assessment of acidity.
The workshop includes
· - blueberry basics: soil characteristics, light and space, varieties for the Southeast, history and origin of the cultivated plant
- management: planting, mulching, fertilizing, and pruning
· - propagating: how to propagate your own plants
· - your own one-year-old blueberry plant
· - Information booklet for your reference
Blueberry snack break and recipes
- - $10 gift voucher for any of our Blue Pearl Farms raw honey, products or workshops
Pre-registration is required; the workshop cost is $35 per person. Contact email@example.com or 843-887-3554 for more information. Must bring your own hand pruning shears. Gloves, closed toe shoes, a hat, water bottle, and long, loose pants also recommended.